Monday, July 12, 2010

Book Report: Anne Tyler Does It Again with "Noah's Compass"

Noah's CompassNoah's Compass by Anne Tyler

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


This is a typical Anne Tyler book in that it is full of quirky characters and it is written flawlessly. The thing I like best about Tyler is her respect for the intelligence of her readers. She does not spell everything out for you, but lets you figure out what is going on and what is motivating her characters by her descriptions of what they do. She does not overdo details by dwelling on non-essentials but knows exactly what to describe to give the reader a feel for what is going on. If you like Anne Tyler, you will love this book.

2 comments:

Catch Her in the Wry said...

I haven't read an Ann Tyler book in a long time. I loved Accidental Tourist and gave her up after Breathing Lessons. Maybe I'll give this one a try.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I recommend it. Anne creates great characters that are somewhat familiar and common but with a quirkiness to make you just a bit uncomfortable.