Monday, November 06, 2006

Son Report: "Faces of Death," "Sharks with Wings" and "Jason and Chris"

Those of you who have been long-time friends or readers of this blog since its beginning (about a year ago) know that I have a son, who is a violinist and of whom I am quite proud. He did a concert on November 1 in Encinitas, CA with composer/pianist,
Richard Carrick, and now I find out that he is playing under the auspices of an organization called Bowerbird in Philadelphia on December 16th at LAVA(Lancaster Avenue Autonomous Space.) I take it from its website that LAVA is a place where various radicals and anarchists hang out, just the kind of venue that would appeal to Chris.

Chris will be performing with Cellist Jason Calloway. They will be doing works by Ravel, Xenakis, Pintscher, Hurt and Wilson, as well as the world premiere of a new work by Chris, as yet untitled (as a father, I sure hope as yet not unwritten!)

Also on the program that night will be a sax duo called "Faces of Death," with David Gross and Bhob Rainey, and an electronics trio called Sharks With Wings, "an experimental noise collective." This is not music for the squeamish. After seeing the names of the other groups who will be playing that night, I'm somewhat relieved that Chris's group has the innocuous name of "Colloway/Otto Duo."

In any event, my wife and I will be flying into Philly in the early afternoon of the 16th, taking in the concert and flying out early Sunday morning, but if there are any blog readers in the area who would like to get together to help brace us up with some liquid refreshments (or to recover afterwards)
let me know. My email address is: crockhead@gmail.com. I will, of course, make a full report in this space.

2 comments:

gerry rosser said...

Hope the trip and the concert go well. I am nowhere near Philly, so cannot participate.

Must be great having a talented child.

Shannon Hopkins said...

Congratulations on your son's success, and have a great trip. I hope you find some bloggers with whom to share a celebration.