So there is this thing that bloggers do to each other called "tagging" with a meme. Being relatively new to blogging, I don't really know what a meme is, so I checked out the Wikkipedia definition and other than learning that it rhymes with theme, rather than femme as I had assumed, it wasn't much help. The meme with which I have been tagged requires me to list 10 interesting things about myself. That's a rather tall order. I don't know if I can think of 10 interesting things about myself, so, if necessary, I will fill out the list with some uninteresting items:
1. I was born into an Amish family and had a "crockhead" haircut until I was 10 years old when my parents left the Amish church.
2. When I was 7 or 8 years old, and my next brother 18 months younger, we used to steal my father's cigarettes from the corn crib where he hid them from my mother, and smoke them behind the barn, a pack at a time without getting sick. (I think we must not have inhaled, something else I have in common with Bill Clinton besides being born in August, 1946.)
3. When I was 12 or 13, I used to wear my Sunday dress shoes to milk our cow, and not realize that getting them milk-spotted was not a cool thing to do, until an elderly neighbor lady for whom my brother and I used to pick up sticks kindly cleaned them up for me and told me to put on my work shoes to milk the cow.
4. In 1965, my cousin and I went to Flint, MI to work in a hospital as conscientious objectors instead of going into the military.
5. On December 25, 1965, a nurse at the hospital tore a button off my shirt trying to pull me under a sprig of mistletoe. I was a fool in 1965, but I am a quick learner and have lost no buttons for similar reasons since then.
6. I saw Richard Nixon in January, 1969 at his inauguration in Washington, D.C. as he went whizzing down Pennsylvania Avenue in his limousine while I and other anti-war protesters yelled at him.
7. In the spring of 1970, I impressed the woman who was to become my wife by reciting the entire 23 minutes of Arlo Guthrie's "Alice's Restaurant. She married me the following year.
8. Starting with high school when I worked before and after school and on Saturdays in my father's farm equipment dealership, I have held the following jobs for pay for at least one week or more: bookkeeper, hospital maintenance man, radio announcer, Kirby vacuum cleaner salesman, mover, mucker, ice cream salesman, newspaper reporter, lawyer.
9. I have two sons who are way smarter than me. No grandchildren in sight.
10. I think George W. Bush is the worst president of the 20th and 21st centuries.