Friday, December 23, 2005

Movie Report

I only saw 24 movies in theaters this year. Last year, I saw nearly twice that many, 46. Part of the reason is that I didn't get to the Ebert Overlooked Film Festival this year because of the death of my sister-in-law. Also, there were more Sunday afternoons when there was nothing playing that was sufficient inducement to leave my comfortable chair and a good book. Here is a listing of all the movies I have seen thus far in 2005, along with my ratings, 5 stars being the maximum.

Five Plus Stars

  • Crash
Five Stars

  • Meet the Fokkers
  • Look at Me
  • North Country
  • Walk the Line
  • Capote
Four Stars

  • Kinsey
  • Hotel Rwanda
  • Merchant of Venice
  • Apres Vous
Three Stars
  • Ocean's 12
  • Million Dollar Baby
  • Be Cool
  • Bride and Prejudice
  • The Upside of Anger
  • Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room
  • Cinderella Man
  • March of the Penguins
  • The Wedding Crashers
  • Hustle & Flow
  • Good Night and Good Luck
  • Grizzly Man
Two Stars
  • Playtime
  • King Kong

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I recommend "Shop Girl" (Steve Martin)a serious and interesting love story; It is a beautiful portrait of a very feminine, somewhat idealized young woman. It's probably on DVD now.

I too thought Crash was outstanding. I haven't seen enough this year for sure-I didn't see even one of the Four star choices.

Anonymous said...

Your lists are fascinating for what they reveal about you more than what they reveal about movies or books. The aesthetic of someone who thinks a movie like Oceans 12 or Be Cool is better than Tati's Playtime is original and deserving of analysis. Some kind of analysis anyway...

Crockhead said...

If you enjoy seeing a movie about someone wondering around an airport, then "Playtime," is the movie for you. There is no discernable plot, and the dialogue is snatches of unconnected overheard conversations. I hope the analysis would show the list was compiled by someone who doesn't care much about what the official critics say about a movie. But if you want to read what the official critics say, then go read the New York Times instead of wasting your time reading this blog by an uneducated Amish boy.